As you may be aware, however, preparing breakfast for yourself and your family on a busy morning is no piece-of-cake.
Fortunately, there’s an answer: these perfectly delectable maple and brown sugar overnight oats. They’re tasty, healthy, and can be prepped the night before. (Plus, they’re gluten free!)
The recipe includes several super healthy ingredients to energize and invigorate you before you start your day:
• Rolled Oats: The perfect morning whole grain and full of essential dietary fiber plus important minerals like magnesium, selenium, and zinc (to all the oats lovers out there: do not miss this delicious oatmeal cookies recipe we shared earlier!)
• Almond Milk: Contains essential protein for your day plus iron, calcium, vitamin C, vitamin B6 (for energy), and folate.
• Cinnamon: This ancient curative spice has tons of essential antioxidants, and it also contains anti-inflammatory properties.
• Pecans: Give even more energy to your morning breakfast, and they’re full of immune-boosting antioxidants as well as calcium, zinc, vitamins A B and E, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, and folic acid.
What You’ll Need
- 2 medium or 4 small Mason jars
- 2 cups of gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 cup regular or vanilla sweetened almond milk (or swap in regular or soy milk)
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp. brown sugar
- ¾ tsp. cinnamon
- 3 tbsp. pure organic maple syrup (or swap in agave nectar or raw honey)
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped and toasted pecans
Jar Assembly Instructions
Note: This recipe makes four servings. We’ve outlined it for two Mason jars (with two servings in each jar), but you can also use four small jars.
1. Evenly disperse the rolled oats, milk, and vanilla into the two Mason jars and stir so that they are well mixed.
2. In a separate bowl, mix the brown sugar, cinnamon, and maple syrup.
3. Evenly pour the resulting mixture into the two jars. Stir everything to combine well.
4. Leave the jars in the refrigerator overnight or for at least two hours.
5. Beforehand or right before you’re ready to serve, toast the pecans in the oven at 325 degrees. Toast for 5 to 7 minutes or until they are aromatic and toasty brown in color.
6. Divide the pecans into the two jars.
To add a touch of extra sweetness before indulging, drizzle some maple syrup or honey and add a sprinkle of cinnamon over top. This is a deliciously healthy recipe to make for you and your family, and because you can prep it the night before, it becomes the perfect “grab and go breakfast” for a busy day!